About Grand River Cancer Centre
Grand River Regional Cancer Centre (GRRCC)
The cancer program at Grand River Hospital consists of the Grand River Regional Cancer Centre (GRRCC) and inpatient oncology for patients who need to be admitted to hospital for their cancer treatment. GRRCC is a full service cancer treatment and research centre. Areas of care include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, clinical trials, supportive care and palliative care.
The Grand River Hospital Foundation is raising funds to support programs that patients and families depend on during or after treatment. The cancer care experience can be difficult and painful for patients and their families, GRRCC is committed to providing a continuum of care that includes programs like these in addition to disease treatment.
Funds raised will go directly to the following Cancer Centre support programs:
- UofW WELL-FIT Program
- An exercise program in partnership with University of Waterloo that is specifically for cancer patients or those recovering from cancer. These classes give patients the chance to remain active while getting the support they need from professionals in a safe environment.
- Lymphedema support program
- Treatment can affect lymph nodes in the body causing swelling and discomfort to a patient’s extremities. This side effect is called lymphedema and can greatly affect a patient’s quality of life after completing treatment. Although rare for hospitals and cancer centres to offer this service, GRRCC provides physiotherapy service to these patients to help manage and cope.
- J. Wesley Graham Patient and Family Resource Centre
- The resource centre is a place where patients and families can retrieve more information about the types of cancer, treatments, and general health and wellness. With guidance from the Patient and Family Advisory Council, GRH has entered into a new partnership with Kitchener Public Library, bringing the best and most credible information to patients. In addition to access to the catalogue, patients and families will be able to learn from online resources and use this space for peer to peer or expert education sessions.
- Patient accommodation
- As the only provider of radiation treatment in Waterloo Wellington, GRRCC helps cover the cost for accommodation for patients who live farther way. That way, the patient and their loved one who stays with them can be close to their health care team and can focus on their treatment rather than the trips back and forth.
The Screw Cancer Campaign
Screw Cancer™ is more than just a way to raise funds - it's a new way of engaging people in supporting the Grand River Regional Cancer Centre, specifically programs like patient support groups.
"Our patient support groups are a critical piece of our fully integrated cancer care program. The Screw Cancer campaign is a compelling fundraising idea that helps us keep these groups running for those who need our support." says Tracey Bailey, President and CEO of the Grand River Hospital
Unfortunately, cancer touches each one of us, whether personally, through a friend, family member or co-worker. Imagine the impact we could make to support those with cancer if you choose to participate personally or on behalf of a local business.
The Screw Cancer screwdriver can be given as a useful gift that will be used for years and serve as a reminder for the continued need to raise awareness and funds for cancer support in the Region.